Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Laundry detergent!!

I don't know about you guys, but I am ALWAYS washing clothes!  It is a never ending battle :(  When I have to buy laundry soap I always get discouraged by how expensive it is!!  I think I may have found the solution!! Granted, I have not tried this yet, but I am hopeful!

You will need:

1 bar of soap (any kind)*
1 cup of borax (found in the laundry aisle)
1 cup of washing soda (NOT BAKING SODA; also found in the laundry aisle)
A large pot that holds more than 2 gallons
A grater
A funnel (optional, but handy)
A spoon long enough to stir entire pot
2 empty 1gl containers


1. Grate your bar of soap and place in the pot
2. Pour 1gl of water in your pot.  Cook until grated soap dissolves.
3. Add the borax and washing soda
4. Bring contents to a boil.  It will coagulate
5. Turn off hear and add 1gl cold water. Stir well!

Pour your detergent into your containers and voila!

I plan on trying this tonight when I get home so I will let you know how it turns out tomorrow!  Also, sorry for the lack in posts recently, but I have been busy being excited!  We are going to have a new addition to the family sometime next April-ish!  I hope everyone is having as wonderful a week as I am!

Happy Washing!!




*I have done some research and for those of you with he washers, it is recommended you use fels-naptha soap(also in the laundry aisle) because it does not create suds.




Mine didn't turn out quite as cute... but here ya go :)




No comments:

Post a Comment