Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Disappointment turned around!

I was perusing Pinterest yesterday and came across a blog with an awesome (and simple) way to transfer letters printed from a printer onto painted wood.  I did not have any success with this method despite multiple attempts :(  Here is the link if you would like to try this for yourself.  Please, if you do, let me know how it goes... I would  still love to have success!!

Once I realized this was NOT going to work for me, I decided I would try something different, and a little less awesome :(  Sad evening....  Anywho... I still used the same idea, and mirror printed letters, I just traced the letters onto the wood and painted them.  While this sounds easy, it was actually pretty difficult.

I got to use some of my wood from that Home Depot gold mine I found about a month ago!

That made me happy!  I knew I wanted a vintage look so I painted the wood black first.  I diluted my paint down quite a bit for the entire project FYI...  Once that dried, I painted over it with a dark brown which actually brought back the grainy texture of the wood! :)  Next, I painted a small area of the front a light, off white color so my red lettering would pop.  The off-white color was diluted down with more water than paint.  I had to actually use a dry sponge brush to move it around after I applied it.... use your own technique for different looks!


I let the paint set for a while while I printed out the lettering I wanted.  ***Remember when you print the letters to make them mirror images if you are going to try the original project idea!***  If you are doing it my way, either way works.  Since I already printed mine out backwards I just went with it.  I laid the paper flat onto my wood, and went over the lines HARD with my pen.  I learned quickly that I needed to do it to the point that my pen went through the paper and marked on the wood. (Just the indention was too hard to see)  I then mixed up the color paint I wanted and began to paint my outlines.  Voila!

Now I have something else to display in the new house!! Fingers crossed... we will be owners in A MONTH!!!  EEEEKKKKK

No comments:

Post a Comment